[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling Strategy??

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hreidmarkailen@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:55:25 -0500

Agathon,

Mark may be away from his office, so let me try to help you with
my understanding.

Power Distribution Networks can feed single loads or multiple loads.

With the independent supply rails mushrooming in our systems, we
have to try to feed as many loads (chips) from a single supply rails
as we can without compromising system performance.  Some supply
rails will remain point of load, with only one consumer.  For those,
we can analyze the required impedance profile, but unless we really
get into the fine details of varying current density over multiple
current paths (like paralleled pins and vias), probably the target
impedance on the board and on the package will be the same or
similar.  (Note: this assumes we stop somewhere on the package.
If we continue our journey onto the silicon, the impedance target
is likely to change)

When we can combine several chips on the same supply rail, the
board side has to feed all of them in parallel, hence the target
impedance on the board becomes lower with respect to the individual
target impedances of the chips on their packages.

Hope this helps.

Best regards and HAPPY HOLIDAYS for everyone on the list.

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: