[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling Strategy??

  • From: "Mark Alexander" <mark.alexander@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sjulian@xxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:44:06 -0700

Simba,

I agree with your hunch about dT.  To go one step farther, there's not
just one dT and one dI -- there are multiple di/dt's, since there are
different current demands happening on different timescales.

For a designer of boards (I assume this is your case), one would hope
that the device vendors could be trusted to take care of the power
system beyond some cutoff frequency.  After all, the PCB is only
effective up to the frequency of the inductive bottleneck a device
package and its via field.  This allows you, as you say below, to
"eventually move beyond the right side of the resonance curve and" not
care about the fact that you "will probably violate your impedance
target at some frequency."  That crossover area between PCB PDS and
device PDS is where the device will begin to take over.  The PCB/system
designer then has two numbers of interest:  the impedance target and the
high-frequency cutoff.

For a device vendor (this is my case), the two numbers of interest are:
the impedance target and the low-frequency cutoff.  The low-frequency
cutoff is first a matter of getting something low enough such that the
device isn't making unrealistic demands on thee PCB (to take care of
providing a low impedance at frequencies above the bottleneck of the
device package and via field, otherwise the device can't work), and
second a matter of how convenient/usable the vendor want to make the
device for system designers to use.  The lower the low-frequency cutoff,
the easier the PCB designer's job, but the more on-package capacitance
is required (which adds to device expense and complexity).

Together, that's four numbers:  (1) PCB target impedance, (2) PCB
high-frequency cutoff, (3) Device package-and-die target impedance and
(4) device package low-frequency cutoff.  The two target impedances, 1
and 3, will be different (the simple rule of thumb you cite in your
second paragraph, 50% of DC current, is a single number and obviously an
approximation).  The PCB cutoff point is dependent on the device cutoff
point, as the system designer will want to extend past the package
cutoff have some area of overlap.

Determining and communicating these numbers largely comes down to the
device vendor.  This means making design rules based on expected device
activity, and package cutoff point.  In the case of my company, we
specify these terms indirectly with guidelines on capacitor values and
quantities*.

That leaves the question of how the device vendor determines their
numbers - (3) the target impedances and (4) the maximum low-frequency
package cutoff point.  There's obviously a lot of secret sauce in this
area - some mixture of simulation, measurement and theory.  One big
advantage the device vendor has is access to test structures that the
PCB/system designers typically don't have access to.  The simplest of
these are exposed test points on the top surface of a package substrate
that allow for direct measurement of noise on the package power system
under device operation.  More sophisticated are silicon structures
designed for noise measurement at the die level, and indirect noise
measurements through functional and timing tests (such as data window
sweeping or measuring clock jitter and correlating to known noise
levels).

If you're a PCB/system design buying your silicon devices from a
separate vendor, you are at the mercy of the vendor - demand complete
power system guidelines.  If you're also rolling some of your own ASICS,
then it's up to you to make the engineering decisions about all four
numbers.

Regards,

mark

*These can be found in two places:  Device User Guides and an Appnote.
See Virtex-5 PCB Design Guide, Virtex-4 PCB Design Guide, and XAPP623.