[SI-LIST] Re: DDR2 IMPEDANCE

  • From: "Kai Keskinen" <kalevi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kenny_frohlich@xxxxxxxxx>, "tao xu" <helen.tao.xu@xxxxxxxxx>, <jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 17:37:36 -0500

I have seen very detailed application notes specifying varying impedances
from different memory controller vendors. I have simulated many of these,
taking into account impedance variations, and have found that it doesn't
matter that much between 40 to 60 Ohms for the single ended and 80 to 120
for the differential. If you have many DIMMs or DDR SDRAMs in series, you
should take into account the true distributed impedance due to the
capacitive loading at regular intervals of the DIMMs or SDRAMs. Whenever
possible, keep a single track on the same layer and keep all signals of a
byte lane on the same layer. DDR/DDR2 are actually very tolerant interfaces
if you do the analysis beforehand to find your acceptable limits.