[SI-LIST] Re: Cascading differential 2-Port Networks

  • From: "D G" <dgun@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 03:29:39 +0800

Bob,

The main problem is that the transformation in text books from S-parameters to
T-parameters is defined for 2x2 matrices.  I don't know what the transformation
is for a 4x4 matrix, but I'm sure it can be done.  Assuming you find out how to
do it, then just use mixed-mode like you would a standard S-parameter block,
except now it is a 4x4 matrix instead of 2x2.  Since the mixed-mode and 4-port
S-parameters are related by a simple linear transformation, all the math
carries over.

Start with the mixed-mode S-matrix, convert to T-parameters, multiply the
matrices, and convert back to S-matrix.  You now have a mixed-mode matrix that
reflects two cascaded mixed-mode matrices.  Upper-left quadrant is still
differential parameters, Lower-right quadrant is still common-mode parameters,
and the other two quadrants are still mode-conversion parameters.

Again, this assumes that a transformation from 4x4 S-parameters to 4x4
T-parameters can be computed.

A good technical reference is:

Bockelman & Eisenstadt; "Combined Differential and Common-Mode Scattering
Parameters: Theory and Simulation"; IEEE Trans. MTT; July 1995; pp. 1530-1539.

It doesn't talk about T-parameters, but it does talk about how mixed-mode
S-parameters can be treated just like any other 4x4 s-parameter matrix (as long
as you interpret it correctly as I stated above).

From: "Bob Welte" <welte@xxxxxxxxxx>

--
Daniel
ZZZ-dgun-ZZZ-@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx