[SI-LIST] Re: Capacitors arrays?worth it or not?

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Alan.Hiltonnickel@xxxxxxx" <Alan.Hiltonnickel@xxxxxxx>, JeanPierrePoulin@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 14:54:15 -0700

Lee, spreadsheets that include the plane=20
capacitance as a lumped branch do simulate=20
accurately for cases where the bypass network=20
does not push the PRF up into the half lambda=20
region of the unloaded board.  I've seen a number=20
of these tools and built them as well.  What=20
spreadsheet models I have seen do not do:

a. They don't create accurate mounted capacitor=20
models.  Garbage in =3D> Garbage out.
b. They only account for what those glorious ICs=20
do if the IC parasitics are included.  But this=20
is also true for any other tools.
c. They do not in general account for the=20
distributed behavior of the planes including=20
loaded modal resonances.  Uncorrected, 1D branch=20
models tell interesting lies in the phase plane.

Used with reason they do make good first cut=20
estimates.  For anything serious, I use=20
distributed PEEC models that with accurate=20
capacitor and IC models correlate extremely well=20
to lab measurements.   There are a number of=20
papers available some that date back 11 years on=20
that methodology.  More recently Todd Hubing=20
wrote a paper on reducing the 2D representation to an equivalent 1D form.

Regards,

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: