[SI-LIST] Re: Antwort: Re: Questions about interplane capacitance

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Doug Brooks <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:58:43 -0400

Doug,

Yes, we agree that the charge that makes up the transition must be (and
is) within a given radius,
assuming that we have distributed PDN and not a hypothetical lumped
source.  My point was
that when we have a matched transmission medium, this radius simply does
not matter, because
looking back from the load we have a frequency independent resistive
source impedance.  This
means charge will move towards the load as needed, and the disturbance
is I(t)*R.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems

>>> si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> Thema
>>> [SI-LIST] Re: Questions about interplane capacitance
>>>

>>> Joel,
>>>
>>> Just one quick comments to the good summary from Steve:
>>>
>>> While considering planes and bypass capacitors in terms of effective
>>> capacitances and inductances is a
>>> valid approach, we need to keep in mind that focusing on the capacitive
>>> or inductive nature of parts
>>> without looking at the wider picture misses a very important and useful
>>> class of solutions, namely that
>>> of matched transmission lines.  As it was pointed out earlier several
>>> times on the SI list, the best
>>> (self) impedance for a power distribution network is a resistive one,
>>> neither capacitive, nor inductive.
>>> We can get resistive impedance from a matched transmission line,
>>> regardless of its capacitance and
>>> inductance, and in such cases the notion of 'service area' of parts
>>> become meaningless: you can put
>>> bypass components further away from the active devices without
>>> sacrificing performance.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Istvan Novak
>>> SUN Microsystems