[SI-LIST] Re: Antwort: Re: Questions about interplane capacitance

  • From: "Chris Cheng" <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Istvan.Novak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 19:03:08 -0700

Ok, now we eliminate the claim that core power distribution needs fancy =
PCB planes and decoupling solutions at the PCB level.
As you say if the core plane is used as reference planes, what controls =
your plane capacitance/loop inductance ? The impedance control for the =
stripline that they sandwich or your fancy power plane scheme ?
This whole plane resonance also borders me. A few months ago we have =
already have long discussion here about a CAD tool vendor and another =
company's paper claiming plane resonances in simulation and measurement. =
As I have pointed out then and I will repeat again now, that was just a =
matter of via placement for signal return rather than real plane =
resonance. Both the measure and simulation conditions were set at an =
unrealistic condition to scare people into thinking there is a plane =
resonance problem. I have always maintain signal return issue on PCB is =
a matter of proper reference plane and return via placement, NOT fancy =
decoupling. If you shoot yourself in the foot and then run around =
claiming you need a fancy stretcher, I really have nothing more to add.