[SI-LIST] Re: About common-mode

  • From: "Knighten, Jim L" <JK100005@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Fu.Gerg@xxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 11:21:36 -0500

Greg,

The term "common-mode" is regularly applied to both cases:

1. In the case of differential signaling, where the normal signal mode is
with each of the two conductors have equal and opposite polarities, the
common-mode refers to excitations where both conductors have the same
polarity.

2. In the case of single-ended signaling, the term common-mode usually
refers to excitation where the directions of the current on the signal
conductor and the current ground plane are the same.

These two cases are not the same, yet we use the same term for them.
Confusing, isn't it.

Regards,

Jim

James L. Knighten, Ph.D.