[SI-LIST] Re: AW: Ground vias around signal via

  • From: Aaditya K <aaditya.kandibanda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Rick Brooks (ricbrook)" <ricbrook@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 14:17:43 -0700

Thanks everyone for sharing valuable information.
To get to a conclusion, I will articulate my opinion (Intuition).

Assuming I am routing TX-RX lanes for USB 3.0 (5 Gbps). Considering the
following stackup:

TOP
GND_1
HS1
GND_2
POWER
HS2
GND_3
.
.
.

Instead of using USB 3.0 Standard A connector, if I am routing signals to a
SMP connectors.

Assumptions (for argument sake):

1) SMP is not edge connector.
2) Good quality Dielectric
3) Ignore coupling from other sources.
4) board size is 5"x5"

Question 1:

a) If I am routing from HS1 to TOP
b) GND_1 and GND_2 are stitched (not close to SMP signal pins).

My point is, it doesn't matter to have ground vias next to signal Vias.
Will it make a LOT OF DIFFERENCE if I route signal from HS2 to TOP under
same conditions?

Thanks
Aaditya

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Rick Brooks (ricbrook) <ricbrook@xxxxxxxxx