[SI-LIST] Re: AW: Ground vias around signal via

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 01:47:02 -0700

The moral of the story is that dielectrics, particularly low K
dielectrics do not confine E/M energy.  Wave fronts propagate until they
encounter a reflection boundary.   If the boundary is far away the
echoes cover a lot of ground (the tater and carrot kind) interacting
with all the other energy in that box of fun.

Steve.
On 10/17/2014 1:00 AM, Wolfgang.Maichen@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> To add some more "meat" as requested: I ran some simple simulations in Sonnet
> Lite and would like to share the results:
> A 3D view is here:
> http://pdamusician.com/electronics/return_via_two_vias_3d_view.gif
>
> Simulation space is a 1 inch x 1 inch metal box; this is large compared to
> the trace widths and dielectric thicknesses (see below) so even though the
> return current can run through the box walls they are far enough away to not
> be very effective at high frequencies (several GHz).
>
> So layer setup is (limited by Sonnet Lite's restriction to 2 inner layers):
>
> Top cover (metal)
> Top dielectric (eps_r = 4, thickness 12 mils)
> Signal Layer 0 (metal)
> Center dielectric (eps_r = 4, thickness 100 mils)
> Signal Layer 1 (metal)
> Bottom dielectric (eps_r = 4, thickness 12 mils)
> Bottom cover (metal)
>
> Top and bottom cover act as reference (return) planes. The center dielectric
> being much thicker than top and bottom dielectric assures that a trace on
> layer 0 mostly couples (= has return current flowing in) the top cover, and a
> trace on layer 1 mostly couples to the bottom cover. So the return current
> will need to transition from top cover to bottom cover at the box center.
>
> I set up the signal path with a trace entering on the left on layer 0,
> transitioning to a trace on layer 1 in the center of the box. Trace width is
> 20 mils which gives a characteristic impedance close to 50 Ohms, so with a
> "proper" return path one would expect only very low insertion losses at all
> frequencies.
>
> I added two return vias between top and bottom cover, close to the signal via
> (I did not spend time to optimize the via positions, just placed them at 20
> mil spacing from the signal via on either side). Here are S11 and S21 (return
> and insertion loss) from 10 MHz to 20 GHz:
>
> http://pdamusician.com/electronics/return_via_two_vias_sparams.gif
>
> Performance is very acceptable (S21 better than -3dB) up to > 10 GHz, above
> that some box resonances are visible.
>
> Now I repeated the simulation, but with the vias placed further away (250
> mils on either side) and completely removed (so the box walls will be the
> only way for the return current). A 3D view of the wide spacing is here:
>
> http://pdamusician.com/electronics/return_via_two_vias_wide_spacing_3d_view.gif
>
> The results are strikingly worse in both cases:
>
> http://pdamusician.com/electronics/return_via_two_vias_wide_spacing_sparams.gif
> http://pdamusician.com/electronics/return_via_no_vias_sparams.gif
>
> Performance limit drops to < 4 GHz and there is almost complete reflection
> (S11 approx. 0dB) over wide ranges above that.
>
> I would say this demonstrates the importance of having return vias close by
> quite impressively. It also shows that you can get away with an "ill defined"
> return path (box wall return rather far away, approx. 0.5 inches in this
> [...]

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
1580 Grand Point Way
MS 34689
Reno, NV  89523-9998
www.ipblox.com

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2013 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: