[SI-LIST] Re: 8 Layer stack up

  • From: "Best, Frederick K" <frederick.k.best@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:54:35 -0400

Youssef,

You are correct about the lack of good plane capacitance. But with
the 2 plane and 4 signal layers constraint that Nagaraj's 8 layer board
has,
it is more important to have tight coupling between the signal layers
and the current return planes than to have good plane capacitance.
Some form of distributed decoupling capacitance is needed to make up
for the loss of plane capacitance.

As near as I can tell, there are no top and bottom signal layers
in Nagaraj's board.  The top and bottom layers must be mounting pads
only.  All four of the suggested signal layers (2,4,5,7) have a close
reference plane and the adjacent signal layers are orthogonal to each
other,
both of which reduces crosstalk.

Fred Best

List archives are viewable at: