[SI-LIST] Re: 10 Layer Board Stack up

  • From: Jeff Seeger <jseeger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 03:59:23 -0500

> >Is there any Formula/Thumb rule behind this.
> >
> >most of my Critical Signal ( CLK)  are Running at Signal Layer 1
> >and My Board Stack up is
> >
> >Top
> >GND
> >Signal Layer 1
> >VCC3.3
> >GND
> >VCC2.5
> >Signal Layer 2
> >Signal Layer 3
> >GND
> >Bottom

        As has been pointed out, layer type should be symmetric
        with respect to the Z axis to avoid boards that warp. The
        dielectric thickness and type must also be treated with
        symmetry.

        One way to accomplish this is to use cross-hatched lines
        on your 3.3v layer instead of a plane.  This will give up
        intrinsic capacitance but will allow the above stackup to
        survive soldering cycles with a lower chance of bow/twist
        problems.  Such problems are high cost as they may render
        a perfectly good and nearly finished board "worthless".

        Ideally the cross-hatch (gridded) line pattern should re-
        semble signal routing in density, but can be thicker. You
        should set up the lines such that they do not overlay the
        "Signal Layer 1" routing for any appreciable distance.

        If such distribution can work for your 3.3v needs then it
        may be a way to keep the stackup you already have.
--

      Jeff Seeger                         Applied CAD Knowledge Inc
      Chief Technical Officer                  Tyngsboro, MA  01879

List archives are viewable at: