[SI-LIST] Re: 10 Layer Board Stack up

  • From: Mike Brown <bmgman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nagaraj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 20:20:15 -0600

Nagaraj,

Symmetry is important - so is shielding.  A modified stackup with cap
(pad-only) layers top and bottom, with stripline construction, might be

 1 pad
 2 Gnd
 3 Voltage
 4 Sig
 5 Gnd
 6 Voltage
 7 Sig
 8 Gnd
 9 Voltage
10 Pad

Given your voltage requirements, you could make layer 9 into a ground,
but it would be beneficial to make it a voltage plane to lower the
impedance on one of your voltages.  Or you could use it to distribute
miscellaneous voltages.

This construction gives you good shielding of the internal wiring, and a
relatively constant impedance environment wherein you can switch layers
to achieve routing with a minimum of impedance discontinuity. The
stackup is immune to inter-layer crosstalk, and provides good HF
decoupling of the power distribution system.  It also gives you room on
the board surface to embed EC changes or to avoid seriously congested
areas.  This use should be avoided if at all possible.

Multiple ground (or power) planes are necessary because you have
multiple signal layers and multiple voltage layers. Planes are needed
adjacent to each signal layer to carry the return currents associated
with fast risetimes.  Without the planes, the return currents find their
way onto nearby wires and you become the victim of crosstalk.  If you
have two signal lines between planes, they need to be routed at right
angles to each other to minimize this problem. Ground planes are needed
next to the voltage layers to provide low-impedance distribution of the
voltages.

 Symmetry and shielding aren't everything.  There are probably thickness
constraints dictated by the enclosure into which the board must plug,
and by manufacturing component lead protrusion requirements.  There are
6 dielectric layers (those between signal and adjacent plane) that must
be relatively thick to give you a workable signal impedance, and 3
(those between power and adjacent ground) that should be as thin as
possible to provide low Z power distribution.

I can't assess what this stackup would do to your manufacturability
requirements.  I have used similar construction successfully, but the
board thickness was always a nagging concern.

Regards

Mike

List archives are viewable at: