  • From: "TIM DIANNA VAN*EREM" <EREMSHEP@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 17:24:55 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  To: showgsd-l digest users<mailto:Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 12:57 PM
  Subject: showgsd-l Digest V2 #3466

  showgsd-l Digest Mon, 05 Dec 2005 Volume: 02  Issue: 3466

  In This Issue:
  #1: From: EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx<mailto:EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx>
  Subject: (no subject)
  #2: From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: Re: To Better The Breed
  #3: From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: Re: Why ?
  #4: From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
  #5: From: lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
(Lindenhill German Shepherds)
  #6: From: "Penny and Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx>>
  #7: From: Terry Cochran
<fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: Re: Why?  Why NOT?
  #8: From: "Kris Christian"
<Kris.Christian@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:Kris.Christian@xxxxxxxxx>>
  Subject: Who is this Braeburn dog?

  Msg: #1 in digest
  From: EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx<mailto:EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx>
  Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 14:42:06 EST

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #2 in digest
  Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 11:53:02 -0800 (PST)
  From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

  Dee!...I don't know you but I love you...what a great post....most show folks
breed to WIN.....and there is nothing wrong with that.....your post says it
all...lets get married..don't tell Mo!....lol...FB
  "dlauffer@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:dlauffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>"
<dlauffer@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:dlauffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:  I think sometimes
we all loose sight of the most important fact of breeding. That is that the
majority of puppies will ultimately go to pet homes. Why do most people breed?
To get that super star. There is nothing wrong with that but the fact remains
that most of the puppies born will never see the inside of a show ring. With
that in mind, my personal opinion is that if we can tell these potential owners
that we have done everything we can possibly do to ensure good health and the
rest is up to genetics/nature/environment whatever, then that will go a long
way to enhance the opinion of the puppy buying public about breeders. AND they
won't be as afraid to buy a German Shepherd Dog.
  JMHO
  Dee Lauffer
  POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

  For assistance, please contact the List Management at
admin@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>.

  VISIT OUR WEBSITE - http://www.showgsd.org<http://www.showgsd.org/>

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #3 in digest
  From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 14:06:58 -0600

   Most all-breed judges are not"students" of the GSD..just as we are not
  students of their respective breeds. Therefore the all-breed GSD must meet
  a certain criteria that will be acceptable to the majority of judges who
  don't really know the breed. In nearly every breed..good feet, strong
  pasterns, straight bone, clean coming and going, only moderate angulation
  in the rear and a good head piece with allot of expression are important.
  Add to this standing and baiting. with GSD's I have found and heard from
  many with all-breed experience that most judges prefer a typical black and
  tan saddle back, a dark eye, sidegait only has to be adequate at best and
  softer backs are often forgiven. If you think about it..many breeds are not
  judged on motion but on standing..also many breeds have softer backs..some
  breeds even butt high, many breeds are straight in pasterns and have little
  if any rear angulation. If you are a terrier judge doing GSD's...it is
  going to be more difficult for you to understand the angulation front and
  rear of our breed. if you are a GSD person doing terriers..it is going to
  be more difficult for you to appreciate the straight should and rear and
  the more stilted motion from the side. many all-rounders rely on what they
  have been "told" about the GSD. I had the experience this past summer of
  attending some all-breed shows..I spoke with the judge who was doing
  shepherds..and she told me that she had been told years ago that the GSD
  should be a much longer dog than tall..consequently, she found the longest
  dog in each class for her winners.I didn't bother arguing with her..she
  looked to be nearly 90 and I wasn't going to change her mind! C.Grainger

  could finish at an all breed show" or "That dog isn't a specialty type".
  I've only been in conformation for 4 years but that is one thing I have
  never understood.  In my opinion they should be the same dog capable of
  winning in either ring if they are bred to the standard.  I have a male
  that I showed in both all breed and specialty.  I have a bitch that I try
  to only show in outdoor shows regardless if they are all breed or
  specialty.  She doesn't like the mats indoors.
  > A member of our club has drafted a letter to send to the all breed kennel
  clubs in our area explaining why we like bigger rings and why we like
  outdoor rings and asking them to consider that when planning this coming
  years shows.  We'll see if they take it to heart!
  > Dee Lauffer

  > For assistance, please contact the List Management at
admin@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>.

  > VISIT OUR WEBSITE - http://www.showgsd.org<http://www.showgsd.org/>

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #4 in digest
  From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
  Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 14:15:11 -0600

  I agree 100%. I had a couple that came by here Thanksgiving weekend. they
  had purchased a puppy from us several years ago and had just recently lost
  him. The stories of his being the "neighborhood" dog, playing with all the
  kids, pulling sleds put things in perspective for me. the puppies we place
  in pet homes are our ambassadors for the breed. Just think of how many kids
  are going to remember this dog and formulate a positive image of our breed
  and may even consider wanting a GSD for their families in the future! John
  Dehope told me once that the quality of your litter should not only be
  evaluated by the best in the litter..but by the least. I have found this to
  be totally accurate. If you are breeding quality animals..even your pets
  should be good examples of the breed.C.Grainger

  Msg: #5 in digest
  From: lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx> (Lindenhill
German Shepherds)
  Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 20:18:05 +0000

  Pam, I think the point most are trying to make is that focusing on any one
thing could be detrimental to the breed. Especially when you consider that this
issue appears to be polygenic in its inheritibility with
  (BTW between hips and elbows, I think elbows are far more damaging to the
breed then hips and a bit easier to pin point genetically)

  I for one applaud the positive way the PC is using awards to accentuate those
animals with good hips and elbows, which translates into animals being used for
breeding stock. I don't believe in restrictions, but do believe in honestly
presenting the facts about your lines(both good and bad).

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #6 in digest
  From: "Penny and Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx>>
  Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 15:50:47 -0500

  I wouldn't want a dog who could not win at specialties AND at the all-breeds.
 I've only had one champion I've bred, (The Kid) and she won in both venues.
Of course, Punky did too, plus she was Select.  I don't agree with Jimmy all
the time, but he was right when he said that a GOOD dog can (and will) win in
BOTH rings.  That's MY story and I'm sticking to it!

  Penny in NY

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #7 in digest
  Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 12:55:55 -0800 (PST)
  From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>>

  Carolyn wrote:
    They can do it ALL except fill out the entry forms and drive themselves
there............ SIMPLE! { :o)

    Dear you need a few working dogs in your breeding program. Ones that can
use the ole Visa card :0)

    Terry

  Carolyn <marhaven@xxxxxxx<mailto:marhaven@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

  > lexieshep@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:lexieshep@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
  > Why can't the GSD'S show in all shows? All > Breed/Specialty?
  I thought this is one dog. Not 2> different dogs.> Dawn
  ************************************
  OBVIOUSLY it is one Breed of dog....though it's so versatile it fills the
shoes of
  many.
  Those that are working in Herding, Rally, Obedience, Search and Rescue,
Police work
  or as Guide Dogs are there because that is the venue the owner choses. It is
the same
  with All Breeds or Specialty Shows. The dog goes where the owner enters it and
  competes in.......has nothing to do with what the dogs can do. They can do it

  www.marhaven.com<http://www.marhaven.com/>

  POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

  For assistance, please contact the List Management at
admin@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>.

  VISIT OUR WEBSITE - http://www.showgsd.org<http://www.showgsd.org/>

  ---------------------------------

  ------------------------------

  Msg: #8 in digest
  Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 12:42:14 -0800
  From: "Kris Christian"
<Kris.Christian@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:Kris.Christian@xxxxxxxxx>>

  Okay,

  I've had several people ask for more details about Brae and it has
  become obvious to me that I'm not performing as well as my dog is in the
  ring when it comes to writing brags...

  So here goes.

  Avion Braeburn was bred by Claire Drosdick and was sired by Mari-Fiori
  The Fever (who is 3 singles away from his championship) out of Claire's
  5th generation from her bitch line, Avion Paris. Claire had another
  litter this year out of Paris and Ken-Delaine's Marksman and has three
  very nice puppies growing up for next spring's shows with three
  different owners. You are forewarned.

  Brae's pedigree is solid OFA for hips and elbows and to help understand
  where he came from, he is line bred on GV Ueker and his grandfathers are
  GV Bull and Sel CH Rollins. His grandmothers are a CH Mari Fiori Bold
  Ruler daughter and a Sel CH Mastercharge daughter (herself a champion
  with this year's 6-9 puppy dog class winner at the National being her
  youngest progeny). I hope this isn't too confusing and would be glad to
  send a pedigree to anyone who wants one.

  Brae has 13 points with 1 major and 4 major reserves. He has been shown
  and won consistently in both the specialty and all breed rings in
  California, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington. He has won under judges:
  Nadine Grady, Lee Brown, Dave Rinke, George Heitzman, Thomas Draeheim,
  Betty Jo Patrick, Fay Dorval Haupt, Charles Doran, Del Richards, and
  more. He won again this last weekend in San Mateo going WD twice, taking
  a major and going BOW, BOS over two male specials...not that there is
  anything wrong with that : )

  Brae was born on May 16th, 2004 and is now 18 months old. We have
  pre-limmed him for hips and elbows and will OFA him when he turns two.
  We have a bitch waiting to be bred to him who is starting to come into
  season now. Brae can't wait!

  Once Brae is finished we plan to take him into the field to learn more
  about the sheep that live at our place and that they are fun too!

  Brae is co-owned by Claire and myself and is handled by Eric Norby. He
  is trained and conditioned by Eric and Joannie Intersimone.

  I am handled and trained by my lovely wife Jennifer, our three boys, and
  my many friends in the fancy. Thanks for welcoming me back into the
  fold. You are wonderful!!!

  Kris Christian

  End of showgsd-l Digest V2 #3466