[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: lists

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>, <TISHW@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:17:03 -0500

Nicely said, Stormy.

Although it doesn't make it easier to bear, what we really need to know is
that the dissension that took place here (on the list)
and in the GSDCA during the past year happens in all good-sized dog clubs.
Maybe not to the degree that happened in our
club, but it happens.  Years ago, the Bearded Collie Club was sued by one of
the Board Members of the club...the Board,
the individual members of that Board, AND the club, too.  For a while, it
split the club into at least three factions...but they
got past it, as will we.
   Just prior to the GSDCA coming under the scrutiny of the fancy (for
several reasons) and then of the AKC, the Pekingese
Club was investigated and told to shape up.  Yes, I've said it before, their
National was cancelled.  They've gone on, too.
The factions in that group were as bad as ours.
    We as members didn't do much but pay attention after the fact...we
should have been paying attention all along.  It is
in the nature of members who are not in office or not otherwise outstanding
(and therefore noticed) to just keep quiet and
let a club run as it will.  the past year woke up some people to shenanigans
that might well have been overlooked, had it
not been for this list.  So, some people woke up and yelled, and pointed out
errors that were made that weren't in the best
interest of the club as a whole.  There's nothing wrong with that, altho
some people didn't like it and took great exception
to opinions expressed that they thought were wrong (read -- different from
theirs) or unseemly.   With any luck, all that is
over for the GSDCA, too.
    Currently, the American Fox Terrier Club is dealing with fights
within...there are factions within factions, and some people
just sitting quietly, waiting to see where they will stand when the fighting
is over.

    Here, hopefully, the fighting is over...but maybe not, since those who
objected to strong sunlight shining on certain actions
and behaviours removed themselves from what they perceived as troublemakers
on this list...and now are gathered together.
That's OK, too...but in the end, everyone is going to have to come back and
work together if they want a club that works
for the best of the breed and for the members...and not a mutual admiration
society where major errors and mistakes are
overlooked if they are made by friends, and where mistakes are glossed
over..

    No biggie...the list (this one) is still strong and will likely remain
so.  The club has survived and there are new faces stepping
up to run things.  We as a club were in the national spotlight because of
the Hunte situation, and that is what set us ablaze during
the past year.  If we wake up and pay attention to our dog world a bit, not
just to the GSD world (even if we would prefer
to only have GSDs and a GSD world), the messes that were created will be
cleaned up, and we won't make mistakes like Hunte
and the subsequent disasters ever again.  In the meantime, we will survive.

Peggy