[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: >last I heard it was 10 years, 4 litters (raised on your ownpremises)

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 13:47:22 -0500

    The requirements in the past included judging experience, which
meant matches (there was no set number, but less than 6 probably
wouldn't have passed...I think I had something like 30+, but that was
when there were lots of matches) and sweepstakes.  There was an
unwritten rule that one sweeps equalled two matches...unwritten, remember.
    Stewarding...6 assignments again was understood, but many of us
stewarded for years.  I even stewarded at the GSDCA National in Philly,
for part of the show...had other jobs at that show, including putting
people's numbers on them .......
    Club involvement, and general background, plus written references
for each breed from well-known breeders and judges, kennel visits, all
sorts of things were required in the past--there were no written
numbers.  When the 10-4-2 numbers were announced there were quite a few
of us "old timers" who found those minimum requirements very offensive.
    As for paying the bills, I know two multiple group judges who did
nothing more than pay bills...neither of them ever walked into a show
ring until AFTER being approved for their first breed.  AND at least one
of them was dishonest in his application...I know because he asked me
for a reference for one of the breeds he was applying for and became
livid with me when I said "only after we watch a good sized entry and
discuss it."  This was a man I've known most of my life.  He does German
Shepherds, by the way............altho that wasn't his original breed.
    These two gentlemen never even saw a litter born, because their
wives had the handlers do all the whelping.
How did they get approved?  Nobody knows.
    There is a woman here in the east who judges two breeds only.  She
bred one of those breeds and for quite a few years after becoming
approved to judge, had never finished a dog that she even owned, never
mind bred.
BUT she knew a lot of people and was well liked by the important people
at AKC....she'd been told she could have any other breeds she wanted,
but then she went a little nuts and for a few years was "disappeared,"
living in her minivan and even going to jail one time for bouncing
checks.  Yes, true...my best friend bailed her out, paid all her bills,
and gave her a home for a short time.  She doesn't do Shepherds, thankfully!
    Many of the professional handlers end up judging Shepherds, even tho
all they ever personally showed were terriers or hounds, or maybe toy
dogs...AKC likes the former hanlders, and almost everyone I know who is
a fairly new judge wants the Herding group because they think it's an
easy group to judge.  WRONG!
    Still, there are some all-breed judges who make the effort to figure
out the breed...or are still trying.
    And we ALL know there are so-called "breeder judges" who make such a
mess in the ring that they shouldn't be there at all..................
Peggy