[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: enhancing color

  • From: <almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:13:25 -0500

Hi Debbie, beings that i am a new provisional judge, i can speak for myself
and i think alot of other judges when i say that DQ'ing is taken seriously
and i doubt any judge would do it unless they were 100% clear in their heads
that there was no doubt. I would never go on a hunch or a maybe / maybe not
to take such a drastic measure.
Just because i had a deep rich black and red in my ring, i would never
automatically assume it was enhanced.
I think allot of the provoking conversation is because there were quite a
few bad color jobs where you could see either straight lines painted on,  or
bleeding of the black in very un-natural patterns.

By the way.........the guidelines for conformation dog show judges states:
"A dog which has been changed in appearance by artificial means, except as
specified in the standard for it's breed may not compete at any show and
will be disqualified."

However it goes further down the page and states: (it is talking to the
judge)
You have a clear authority under Chapter 11, Section 8C, of the Rules to
excuse any dog which, in your opinion, has had it's natural color or marking
changed. (it says excuse here)

Then i went to the Rules Applying to Dog Shows at the chapter and section
above stated and well you can read it, but it neither states DQ or
excusing.........it states withholding.
It is a rather long section for me to type and anyone interested can read it
online. But it says "If in the judges opinion any substance has been used to
alter or change the natural color or natural markings of a dog, then in such
event the judge shall withhold any and all awards from such dog, and the
judge shall make a note in the judges book giving his reason for withholding
such award.  There is some explanations of substances and the disciplinary
actions.

So go figure...........it says 3 different things, but i think we all have a
good grasp of how we are treating the situation in the ring.    AMY

Amy Safdir
Almanya Shepherds
www.almanyagsd.com