[ SHOWGSD-L ] Why GSD Stack? - long

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 16:12:56 -0800 (PST)

> On another list there has been a discussion going on re. why GSDs are
> stacked like no other breed.
>
> Several people said it is because the stack is the GSD's natural stance and
> that's the *only reason* the GSD is stacked this way in the ring.  I contend
> that is much more than that...
>
> I've always been told, and have read, the purpose of stacking a GSD in this
> manner, is to show the GSD has the correct rear angulation to do what it's
> supposed to do, i.e. gait correctly.  The GSD stack also shows off other
> structures as well.  Such as the turn of stifle, the hocks, the croup, etc.

If the stack is simply cosmetic, to show structure, then we can adapt to
seeing the structure presented in the four square stance of other dogs. Sounds
ugly, but we could get used to it. I would contend that the stance is both
natural and FUNCTIONAL -

That is, form follows function. The stance is thus part of the way in which
the GSD 'stands ready' to move forward. That is why runners set up their
blocks with one foot back and one to the front of the other, because they are
placing themselves in a running stance even before they are running. Quick
start!

At least that is how I've always thought of it. But then, what do I know?
Dave