[ SHOWGSD-L ] Why GSD Stack? - long

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 17:42:04 -0500

On another list there has been a discussion going on re. why GSDs are
stacked like no other breed.

Several people said it is because the stack is the GSD's natural stance and
that's the *only reason* the GSD is stacked this way in the ring.  I contend
that is much more than that...

I've always been told, and have read, the purpose of stacking a GSD in this
manner, is to show the GSD has the correct rear angulation to do what it's
supposed to do, i.e. gait correctly.  The GSD stack also shows off other
structures as well.  Such as the turn of stifle, the hocks, the croup, etc.

In conclusion, I said the reason GSDs are stacked uniquely is because of the
need for the judge to properly evaluate the rear assembly, which is such an
*important* part of the GSD's anatomy and sooo essential for correct
movement.  Without a correct and powerful rear assembly, the GSD can not
gait correctly and efficiently and will break down.

One person who read my post, sent a link to an article that went into
greater detail than what I did in my post.  Here's a quote from that article
that sums up essentially what I was trying to say:
Forward movement in dogs begins in the rear. The strength of that movement
or drive depends on how the rear assembly is designed. In GSD's, rear
assembly is defined in terms of angulation, meaning the relative position of
the bones to each other during a certain phase of movement. When we stack a
dog for show in the typical "Shepherd stance" we present the angulation of
that dog during two phases of movement.

The leg retracted under the body shows the angulation at the moment when the
effective push forward begins.   The extended leg shows the position of the
bones when rear drive is about to end and the leg is lifted off the ground
in what is called follow through...

If anyone  would like to read the article in full, here's the link:
http://www.kristophgsd.com/articles_beauty.htm

Anyhow, this part of my post was ignored by most people who responded.
Instead, the discussion went from "why are GSDs stacked this way?"  to
"natural stacking."

Am I wrong about the reason GSDs are stacked uniquely?   Are they stacked
this way simply because standing with one leg behind the other is the GSD's
natural stance?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam