[ SHOWGSD-L ] Who are we kidding?-rear angle

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 20:01:12 EST

In a message dated 12/17/2005 4:08:12 PM Central Standard Time,
MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx writes:
And I interpret "The whole assembly of the thigh, viewed from the side, is
broad, with both upper and lower thigh well muscled, forming as nearly as
possible a right angle."
To mean NEARLY a right angle, not EXACTLY as I see so many these days, which
takes away from the structure of the dog, as they now have an excessive
amount
of thigh/stifle bone, which takes move time to move and follow through in the
rear, and thus, there goes the drive, because the dog can't extend properly
That passage in the standard absolutely does not mean achieving a right angle
is faulty.  If you are one-millionth of a degree away from 90 degrees, you
are still not "as nearly as possible a right angle," and you could never see
the
difference between that and a perfect right angle.  In fact, I've been taught
that particular angle should be measured while the rear foot is under the hip
socket.  The dog in the picture you point to cannot even be considered for
two reason. First, the handler side leg is way too far forward (enhancing the
poor croup by the way), and in fact that dog's right leg has to be longer than
its left leg in order to achieve the more extreme turn of stifle that it shows
on the right leg, along with the lack of turn of stifle on the left leg.  It's
a mistake on the artist's part.

Also ... Length of stifle does not have to cost drive.  Muscle, ligament, and
a good short hock can compensate for the longer leg bones. I agree that it is
possible for those bones to be "too long," but that is always relative to the
rest of the dog's structure.

Tom Langlitz