[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The AB debate/Judges

  • From: "M. Mike Lynch" <cccaudiology@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:18:31 -0800 (PST)

Carolyn,

  Its not just in GSDs, I have this problem in a lot of all breeds with
terriers and poodles that i have been paid to show.

  I have, and I wish I wouldn't have to reveal this,  judges come up to me and
say, "how do you really go over a standard poodle, I don't want to mess up its
hair..." ( I'm thinking, you're the judge.. shouldn't you know? (yes, they
should, but they don't).

  2. Oh this is a new westie here you are showing, is it any good?? You're the
judge, you tell me If its any good. Yes, I understand each breed has its own
nuances, but if you are provisional, that should tell me that you did your
homework and are familiar with this breed. However, lets place SOME (not all)
the responsibility on the handlers these people are going to. Many of them
"pimp" certain dogs and tell you its a great one. One terrier handler, who has
shown a top winning welsh terrier each year will tell you its a great one, and
NOT A SINGLE DOG LOOKED LIKE THE LAST ONE. However, hes the one who puts a lot
of effort into judges education and he will secure a good win at the group or
BIS level and of course, a person, who is not familiar with the breed, may
think, "this is the type of dog I am looking for".

  A long time ago, I handled soft coated wheatens for a very dear, sweet lady
and her daughter. They had tons of money and often bought and co-bred litters
of Norfolk, welsh, Kerry blues etc without having to do much work. Later on,
after she went strictly into horses, I noticed she was doing breed assignments
at the national, Great Western, Montgomery County, Westminster and later on the
Group at Westminster... People said, "oh shes a great terrier woman". They
honestly think it, and out side the one breed, she never really did any of the
work except write a check. Did it make her "qualified" yes. Did it make her a
good judge.. NO.

  A long time ago, when I was an assistant and got to visit with a great
handler named George Ward, we talked about judging. I asked Mr. George when was
he going to quit handling and start judging. He said he would never do it,
because the AKC puts too many restrictions on judges and not enough education.
He said they make you play the game rather than letting you judge dogs. Mr.
George also said that he felt if anyone wanted to become a judge AKC should let
them, but there would be 2 requirements. (1) you  personally would have to put
a dog of that breed in the ring. you didn't have to win, but you would have to
condition, groom and show it... so that way when you have people who say,
"poodles shouldn't be shown without hair spray" or I don't know why they show
GSD's that fast, I like them controlled".  you'd have a different opinion. (2)
if you messed up and didn't get it right 4 times based on the general consensus
of your entry and akc rep, your card was taken. Period.

  Cruel but seems more pragmatic.

  Mike

www.BlackHawk-Farms.com
Northern California American Saddlebred Horse Association
Vice President (Class of 2007)

http://mail.yahoo.com