[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Temperament by numbers

  • From: GrnRam415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 01:27:24 EST

Syd,
That is the most accurate description I have ever seen.  I have a dog
(rescue, sort of) who I would've considered a 2 when he was young.   But with
lots of
hard work and maturity, he is the best puppysitter I have.  Never a fear
biter but a professional victim.  He's been attacked 3 times at shows, just out
with me going potty.  Dogs know he's weak.  Climb the walls, oh, yes.  I had to
board him once, he hurt himslef trying to climb the fence to get away from the
employees.  But, a dog that can be reformed.  He now has a CD and RN behind
his name :-)  He loves the pups and girls and is awesome with kids.  Can't ask
for more than that.  Show dog, no way.  Even if he was show quality, he would
never have that attitude.

I have never had a 10 and glad for that.  I have high drive furkids and ones
I've had battles with, but never a dog that didn't back down to my alpha self,
LOL!  As you know I have German and American lines so I've run the gamut on
temperament.  I have one awesome 9, but she isn't what wins.  Now, if I could
get her attitude with her kids, I'll be a very happy camper :-)

In a message dated 12/21/2005 9:27:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Elsyd1@xxxxxxx writes:
I have come up with a numerical system for GSD temperament. It goes (like
most do) from one to ten. In my system, 1 is a total spook, and 10 is totally

fearless.. Numbers 1 and 2 are born shy, and will never be salvageable for
showing. These are the dogs that climb the walls to get away from strangers,
or
worse, when cornered, bite. Three, four, and five, are shy, but will just
wilt
when strangers come, hide behind the owner, but are not hysterical or
fear-biters. Sixes and sevens are "soft", but with proper socialization, can
be
good showdogs, pets, and working dogs. Eights and nines are born sound, stay
sound no matter how neglected they are. They are the ones that you can keep
in a
kennel for years, and when you take them out, they act like they have been
out  all their lives. Totally sound. Tens are the sharp, proud, fearless, and
often  dangerous ones. They have no respect for authority, and can be very
aggressive,  but not from fear. From a sense of power and invulnerability.

Laura Thomas
http://www.treasureranchgsds.com/