[ SHOWGSD-L ] PAWS

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 00:14:46 -0400

    I think many people on the list may be tired of hearing about the
coming PAWS regulation.  Well, I'm sorry...this is just a little
reminder.  If at all possible, try to get hold of the July 1 issue of
Dog News and read Cindy Cooke's 3-page article on PAWS, entitled "We're
For Dogs, Aren't We?"
    Cindy is, in addition to being a breeder/owner/handler of Scottish
Terriers, and a well-respected one at that, an attorney.
She is also the UKC's legislative expert.
    Among other things, she points out in this article that the
endorsements for the PAWS proposal were issued simultaneously, and the
ONLY organizations to back it by written endorsement were HSUS, PETA,
and the AKC.  That ought to put the fear of God into somebody.
    She manages to point out in a more succinct manner than I have (or
anyone else on this list has) been able to the danger of allowing this
legislation to enter the Code of Federal Regulations.
    Cindy also pointed out that the AKC took this position without any
discussion with the Cat Fanciers Association, a group that has worked
hand in hand with AKC to defeat anti-breeder, anti-dog legislation in
the past, and which, btw, OPPOSES PAWS bigtime.
    Please try to get this issue of Dog News and read it for
yourselves.  If I have to, I will copy it out...but it is LONG to retype.
I am going to ask Cindy if she has already got a copy of it in Word
format that she can give me, and if that happens, I will be happy to
send copies to anyone who asks...but please don't ask me now, as I
haven'tasked her yet...I'm sure she's off at dog shows this weekend.
       And don't assume you can read the article on the Dog News
website.  Dog News is (for a change) backing the AKC... as is Denny
Kodner (who backed the AKC's position on large volume breeders, you may
recall); you will NOT find Cindy's article among the few articles
available on the site.
    Peggy