[ SHOWGSD-L ] NIS

  • From: DPiagentin@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:50:14 EDT

It is good to see some posts on the NIS,  I thought we had beaten the
subject to death, and I was a little timid about posting and maybe a little
late  to
the subject.

Went to the parent club web-site and printed out the Illustrated  Standard as
it is now by Orrie Nordness found it to be very clear and concise,  and only
12 pages.  At least I find it easy to read, and to understand,  even as a new
person coming into this breed I had no problem understanding the  Standard.  I
have an old copy of Goldbecker's book, This is the German  Shepherd, and this
book has been my bible for so many years, and to this day,  will look up
something that I might need reassurance in. (especially on  whelping I seem to
have forgotten some things I used to do). I like  this book because it is an
easy
read, not long, easy to understand and recommend  it to new people, looking
for information.

I then downloaded the NIS, and it is 36 pages long, to me it is a Book in
itself.  The paragraphs after the Standard (re-explaining the paragraph  above)
this I find disturbing, are we talking down to the people and judges who  are
reading this! Do they not have the intelligence to read a simple  standard!
When I read a paragraph I don't need someone else to explain it  to me.  The
Standard is very simple in its presentation.

There are so many spots left undone where you say you are replacing with
illustrations, are you replacing with illustrations or with photos.  Page  20
the
illustrations with captions, reference to feet,  there are two  illustrations
reading correct.  Which is it ! it is either correct or not,  can not be that
both are correct. On page 24, blues, I hope that they will be  blue, with
that haze that covers the black/tan saddle, the photos there now do  not show
it
enough JMHO.

The ideas are excellent, so much work has gone into this presentation,and I
thank you for all your time and energy, but I can see that a lot more time
and energy will continue, to get the finished product.  I feel that at this
point the NIS is much too long, with too many illustrations, and I can see  a
number of new enthusiasts as well as judges getting confused.  I  would like to
see this made simpler.
Many of the illustrations are redone from the original Standard, and are
taken from Goldbecker's book, the dog in motion on the cover is beautiful, and
breathtaking,

Would like to say thank you to the Committee members who have worked so  hard
on this, when it is finished it should be great! Just not  now! would like to
see it simpler with less illustrations, only the  basic's.
                                                Sincerely,  Diane Piagentini

P.S. this is not a criticism only some input, since I took the time to  print
out both the standards.