[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: NIS

  • From: SUSAN SULLIVAN <susan-sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:11:46 -0700 (PDT)

I just took a peek at the new standard and without looking hard at all the
illustrations, my overall impression is Wow!  what beautiful work. And I'm an
artist who has been fortunate to have painted some of the greatest dogs in the
last twenty years to grace the show ring! Taking something from a written word
and putting it into generic paintings is very difficult. In order to do it well
the artist cannot just work from photos and life but must actually process the
word and make it come out on paper. Resulting in a generic but correct
rendering of the standard we are trying to approach with our dogs.  There
should be some tweaking yes, some of the top lines were a little off, some of
the croups a bit short and flat, but overall the impression is of a dog of
power and substance a dog that looks like a GSD. This is a dog that keeps his
feet close to the ground and has a well balanced, suspended gait which will
allow the dog to shorten and lengthen his stride as necessarry.  He
 appears
 to move easy. This dog could tend a graze all day long and easily knock a 250
lb recalcitrant sheep back into line!  I can't wait to see the next edition.
Lanalee, you done good girl!  This is a beautiful piece of work.
Susan

Susan w. Sullivan
Firethorn Farm
German Shepherd Dogs