[ SHOWGSD-L ] My opinion and only my opinion

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:34:30 EDT

In a message dated 4/30/07 7:20:43 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
This has  been a very unpleasant weekend for our BOD.  Many thanks to
them for  doing the right thing.  I could not care less about the
procedure or  who voted how.

I agree that the board did the right thing. But,  what I do not agree  with,
is how it was done.  I was not going to say anything about it, but I  feel it
is time I said this.

Before the meeting I conversed with Lew and urged him to hold the  discussion
of any settlement with Mr. Hunte an in open session.  He said he  agreed and
that there was nothing being discussed about individuals, and it was  club
business of interest to the club members. When Sunday came, I was told that
everyone would be asked to leave and a closed meeting would be held. I did tell

Lew that it was his right to do that, and it would probably work out better to
exclude the lawyers. By that time I had heard of such great hostility, that
I wanted it to end for the board members. I had talked to a number of them who
 were concerned for their own safety.   But, I do not believe that  is the
way to run this or any other dog club.

We should know what the board is required to do. We should know who hired
the lawyer, and how much of our money was paid for her. We should know who was
or was not threatened. We should know what was offered to Mr. Hunte, or any
applicant to get them to withdraw an application. We should know what was
demanded of our board, our club, or any members of the board. We should know if

anyone of our board members or club members was threatened.  We should be  told
what is required in the future. We should know the business of our club,  not
just the results.

We are not left with rumors, half truths, guesses and speculation as to  what
is going on.  Some will see it as good, and some will see it as a  cover-up.
I was offered a chance to read the terms of the settlement, and  I declined.
I want to be in the same position as the rest of the club, and not  given any
special treatment.

We are not a large profit making corporation with a board of directors and
stockholders who run the company. We are a club, a non-profit organization that
 belongs to the members. We do not elect people to work in secret and
effectuate  results, and then maintain secrecy of those restrictions.  That is
not
what  we voted for when we elected our board. Or at least I didn't.  We asked
them to represent us, nothing more, nothing less.

I have never liked a secret meeting, and I never will. I do not think it
serves us properly, and while I continue to respect the board for their
service,
I was disappointed to see every one of them vote to close the meeting. This
club  business should have been done in the open, it should have been discussed
in  public, and it was not the proper way to act.  It is legal, just not
right.

I do thank the board for the hard work they did, and do. I appreciate how
difficult this was, and how dedicated they all are.  I know they resolved a
terrible threat with a reasonable solution.  I just don't like the manner  in
which it was done.

I was told at the meeting by a board member that the biggest problem was
that I have posted so many things to inform people what was going on, that it
has caused this trouble. If the truth does not set you free, then obscuring it
sure isn't going to.  The messenger should not be blamed for the message.
But, I was.

I wrote this in the hope that in the future, this board, and whoever takes
over after them will remember that they should work in the open. Be proud  of
what they do, and trust us, the little people, to understand the  process.

Evan  (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/