[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Lepto vaccine

  • From: Cheryl May <cmdogsports@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 17:52:44 -0700 (PDT)

When a friend lost a dog to Lepto, I had my two performance dogs at the time
vaccinated for Lepto.

Many years later, my then two-year-old performance dog, who had not been
vaccinated for Lepto, picked it up at an agility trial. The vets didn't
diagnose it until she was in serious trouble with kidney issues. Veterinarians
at Kansas State University saved her life. However, a few years later, her gall
bladder had disintegrated and leaked onto her liver, causing severe damage. We
opted to put her down and it was a devastating loss. The vets disagreed over
whether the problem that caused her death was related to bacteria carried over
from the Lepto.

The dog who had been vaccinated for Lepto did NOT contract it from the younger
dog, in spite of constant exposure over many weeks while vets tried to figure
out her problem.

My personal choice will be to vaccinate, at least twice, any future competition
dogs. It's a personal decision, but losing a heart dog at age 6, while a 10
year old who had been vaccinated twice in one year survived, influences my
thinking.

- Cheryl May, Kansas