[ SHOWGSD-L ] It only looks easy

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 14:29:37 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 12/2/11 11:06:21 AM Pacific Standard Time,
lfossland@xxxxxxx writes:

I smoked  about a pack a day back in the 1960's, kept having a sore throat
and  wondered why. So, to stop smoking was the alternative. It worked. Just
quit  from one day to the next and chewed a lot of gum and hard candy.
Never
touched a cigarette again although the temptation was there; we  were
military and cigarettes were cheap for us to  buy.

When I went to my 50 year class reunion, I met again an old friend of  mine
who I had not seen in over 50 years.  We were very close in  high-school.

Mike had gone to Viet Nam in 1958, (we were not supposed to be there at
that time), and became hooked on drugs. When he returned to Grand Rapis he
turned into a street person and was strung out on drugs and alcohol. The last
I  heard from him was in the late 90s.  I found him again, and we met for a
meal.

Mike explained to me that he was able to get off heroin, cocain, peoyte,
meth, alcohol and all other drugs with re-hab and  years of hard work.  He
spent a lot of time in prison, and on the streets.  He was in many  programs,
and did well in the end.  Now, like the rest of us, he was facing  70, but
still alive.

What he could not stop was smoking tobacco.  He had tried for over 50
years and was clean for everything except cigarettes.

I found that interesting and it gave me new insight into smoking.  I  never
criticize anyone for smoking but I have offered to arrange one
chemo-therapy treatment for any smoker who wanted to quit, which from my
experience
would stop anyone from smoking.

I offered that to Mike and he only laughed, lit another cigarette, and
walked away in a haze of smoke.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together