[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Handlers

  • From: "M. Mike Lynch" <cccaudiology@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lexieshep@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:52:24 -0800 (PST)

Hi Dawn,

  Yes, you see plenty of up and coming handlers, however; do they have "lasting
power". Many younger handlers are not taking the time it takes to become a
professional handler and within abaotu 2-3 years, they are gone.

  I am doing more all breed shows than specialties (gotta stay on that
treadmill a little while longer before Im ready to hit that specialty ring full
time).  I worked as a handlers apprentice over a period of like 12-13 some odd
years with professional handlers, Mark and Sally George, Brenda Combs and The
late Mark Shanoff. I have learned mostly how to deal with hair breeds and
scissoring, handstripping and the like.  But more importantly, I have learned
GOOD BUSINESS SENSE (like not cussing out clients, dont lie about a dogs
potential, even if it may hurt feelings, be tactful, do your job and your
"homework" and get your bills out monthly,  etc) which is usually the down fall
of most young handlers.. NO Clients=No Paycheck=HUNGRY!!!

  At this phase of handling, I am starting to do somethings for me. I breed
Kerry Blues and Mini poodles. The German SHepherd is my original breed and I am
returining to it. I would like to finish one from the bred by classes and I
also want to put at least a group I all breed win on a solid black one. Will it
happen? Maybe..maybe not, but these are goals and rpogressionals I need to make
to fill fufilled as a handler.

  For me, it was never about having a Quaker Oats award, Being number 1 all
breeds or winning every specialty in america at least one. It was being a good
"dog man", understanding the breeds I showed on an intimate level, and to have
long lasting clients that felt as if the world revolved around them.. be it the
multimillionare kerry client or the 9-5 ringside pickup bullmastiff. Hopefully,
one day, I will have a legacy to leave an up and coming kid that wants to learn
this when I decide to stop hauling crates.

  Mike Lynch

www.BlackHawk-Farms.com
Northern California American Saddlebred Horse Association
Vice President (Class of 2007)

countries) for 2¢/min or less.