[ SHOWGSD-L ] Half full glasses of rose color

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 16:05:40 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 12/7/11 4:45:08 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ninemaplefarm@xxxxxx writes:
I think  people are leaving the breed because:
No, it is the economy. The Boy Scouts membership is down, as is the  Elks
and the Moose. AKC registrations have dropped 10% every year, and that
includes all breeds. Sales are down, employment is down, and the national debt
is up.

1) Everyone outside of the specialty dog breeder thinks the  breed is now
deformed and ruined. Fact.
That has gone on for years.  The vicious dog was the doberman,  then the
rottwieler, then the German shepherd and now the pit bull.  There  are more
people owning German shepherds today than ever before. They just are  not
spending the money to show in conformation. Rally, obedience etc. are doing
fine.

2) A new person can't step in and show their own dog like  in a lot of
breeds as we require the dog to gait in front (instead of side);  have this
weird thing called double handling;  and are 99.9% handler  dominated.

No change in that.  I remember movies of shows years ago, with  the dogs
charging around the ring.  Look at the majority of the winners at  the
Nationals in the 60s and they are all professional handlers.  The  difference
is
that they were kids then.

3)  There hasn't been enough emphasis on temperament and too many dogs are
nervy
The biggest improvement in our breed is temerament.  We used  to have dogs
that growled at a judge, (Helen), and so many would be held in an  iron grip
for the examination.  Now bad temperament stands out, it used to  be the
norm.

I say all this as a new dog show exhibitor and a huge lover  of the breed.
I am developing tough skin and hope to stay in it for the  long haul but
there are problems here people.

I am an old dog show exhibitor and a huge lover of the breed.   I
understand that if you weren't here 30 years ago, the stories would sound like
the
breed is going to hell. In truth the number are down and the quality is  up.
Now, every dog in the ring could finish. It used to be half the dogs  would
never get a point.

It is just the times.  They may or may not change back.   It will depend on
the economy.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together