[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: FW: Don't let PAWS & HSUS spoil your Christmas

  • From: Stephen Reierstad <wmj1944@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 20:00:28 -0800 (PST)

The following is quoted from the HSUS propaganda that is being sent
to the House re the PAWS Bill:

">> The bill will only affect large-scale, commercial breeders.  It
is
>> intended
>> to require long overdue coverage for large breeding operations
that are
>> selling their dogs or cats over the Internet and therefore
exploiting a
>> loophole in current law that allows them to evade all federal
oversight.
>> It
>> does not affect any breeder selling dogs or cats unless they sell
at
>> least 7
>> litters of puppies or kittens.  This means, for example, a breeder
could
>> sell more than 80 puppies a year and still not be required to
obtain a
>> license under this bill.  For those who are required to obtain a
USDA
>> license, they need only ensure that basic welfare standards are
met -
>> food,
>> water, shelter, and veterinary care - in order to satisfy the
minimal
>> requirements of the Animal Welfare Act.  They have nothing to fear
from
>> getting inspected occasionally unless they are failing to provide
basic
>> protections to animals at large-scale, commercial operations.
>>
>> This bill will not prevent breeding nor will it harm the ability
of
>> breeders
>> to raise dogs in their homes.  The American Kennel Club is
strongly
>> endorsing this legislation and has testified that hobby and show
breeders
>> will clearly not be affected by it."

Either the HSUS rep who wrote this is so stupid she doesn't know what
the Bill actually says, or she's just a damned Liar.  I seem to
recall the number 25 as the limit on the number of puppies a Breeder
could sell without bringing the USDA and its proxies down on them.
Where did 80 come in?  Maybe HSUS thinks the Members of Congress
aren't smart enough to read or understand the Legislation they will
be voting on.  If I were a Senator or Congressman, I'd take this kind
of garbage as an insult to my intelligence....  The REAL
misinformation about this Bill is being spread by HSUS, AKC, and
their ilk, not "Illegal Dogfighters", whoever they may be.

Steve

Visit Two Feathers German Shepherds online at http://www.wmj1944.com
Website updated 7/7/2005.
"If you invite the Wolf to Dinner, then don't get mad when he eats something."
- Unknown