[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DUE DATES/TEMPS

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, WyMarGSD2@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 17:19:32 EST

Puppies take 58-59 days to develop once the eggs are fertilized  (usually
a few days after ovulation, as Kathy said).  The earliest the puppies  can
be born and survive would be 58-59 days after the first breeding.   Sperm
from a natural breeding is usually viable for about 7 days - though  it
can be shorter or longer depending on different factors.   If you  don't
know the date of ovulation, the usual rule of thumb is 58-66 days  from
the first tie.

I have a better way to narrow it down for myself <G>.  My stud  dog is
a "last minute man" when it comes to breeding.  He won't really  try
until the last few days the bitch can be bred.  He then turns into a  basket
case and won't eat or sleep and cries and carries on like crazy.  When
he suddenly settles down and starts to eat again, I mark the  calendar.
The puppies come exactly 59 days later - so far he's 3 for 3.   Makes
it much easier to plan my days off work, LOL.

Janice

In a message dated 12/31/2005 2:37:06 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx writes:
In a  message dated 12/31/2005 4:16:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
WyMarGSD2@xxxxxxx writes:
Scenario....
First breeding was November  6th, bred Nov 7th and 8th.  (was only going to
do
6th and 7th but  since was a 6 hr drive and prog  level wasnt back in, did
breeding  before leaving to go home JUST INCASE)
Female goes for xray today,  Dec 31st vet takes temp its 99.8 nothing to
compare too as i forgot  to start taking her temp yesterday.
7 skulls  shown, 9 spines...   puppies arent real huddled towards the ole
tunnel  yet according to  xray.
Bitch slowing down acting "sad/tired" pretty much  like last  time, but maybe
little more, its her 4th litter, she is HIGH   energy female, only 5 1/2 yrs
old, carrying very low compared to  last  litter considering 6 days away from
"due
date"
Bitch  didnt eat  breakfast and this is very unusual, yet did refuse food
last
time before  delivering, not sure when it was tho
No  discharge
So... what's her due  date?  What is the earliest a  litter can be delivered
healthy?   Her last 3 litters were all  delivered day 61 and had 6 puppies in
first  litter, 7 puppies in  last 2 litters.   Thanks

Dawnmarie

The due date is  actually 63 days from ovulation/fertilization (not  from day

bred).  Without knowing when she ovulated, all you can do is   wait and
watch...

BTW, breeding back to back days seems a little  different since healthy
sperm
can live quite a while.  Not  second guessing, but what do others  do?  (I
usually skip a day,  sometimes 2, which I realize isn't feasible  when long
commutes are  involved.)

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions   live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_