[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DOUBLE HANDLING

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: caggra@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 17:54:05 -0400

Ok, I said I wouldn't say any more about the cat incident, and I won't.
BUT, as topics on email lists often do, the subject has changed to just
plain doubling.
    There's NO POINT in arguing about doubling...this is the GSD world
and it's a fact of life, whether AKC suggests it not be done or
what...no, it is not a rule, it's just in the guidelines for judges.
    No point in talking about the people who dye, chalk, or otherwise
"alter" the appearance of their dogs...it goes on in all the breeds and
some judges will throw you out for it, some won't know it, and others
won't care.  If you do any of those things then you have to answer to
yourself for being a cheat and a liar, and that's all there is to it.
    The POINT of the original complaint, however, wasn't about
doubling.  It was about presenting the wrong image to the public about
our sport.  THIS is against the AKC  rules...doing things that would
make a family or a person attending their first dog show to think it was
a bad activity for them to get involved in.
    Image is what it's about, at this point, because people who are NOT
involved in conformation shows, at least not in AKC shows, witnessed all
that went on at last week's show, and reported it because they thought
it was awful...........
    No discussion about live cats, stuffed cats, rabbits, doubling,
dyeing, chalking, or any of that stuff will alter the fact that the
entire GSD world may have been placed under scrutiny right now because
of thoughtless behavior by a few.  That's all it's about.  The wrong
image...........that's what it's all about.
    The AKC doesn't care whether wrong is done or not.  The APPEARANCE
OF IMPROPRIETY is all that counts...in other words, the image we present
to the public.  Until our shows are closed to anyone but one another, we
have to have some kind of standard of behavior and EVERYONE must adhere
to that standard.  That's it.
Peggy