[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DM

  • From: Denise Williams <denwil2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 11:31:19 -0800 (PST)

Many people have questioned the validity of the test, because the DNA marker is
not specific to GSD's. Someone recently posted about a dog dying from DM, a dog
that is directly related to mine. Now the test website says it takes two copies
of the affected gene for a dog have DM. Supposedly, the sire was tested for DM,
and the test came back clear. So either the person who tested was not honest
about the results, or the test produced a false negative. That makes me wonder.

I have not tested my dog, but I have a DM clear puppy, which should mean that
my dog does not have two affected genes and should not be affected, perhaps a
carrier though.  I have ordered the tests, so we shall see, but if the test is
giving clear results to dogs who are producing affected offspring, what's the
value anyway?

Denise Williams
Chopper, Chase, Phoenix and Flare

http://www.showgermanshepherds.info