[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breeding stock? long

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:45:58 EDT

This from another list:   Very apropos to Breeding Stock, I think
Names deleted except for Loretta, publisher of a sporting dog magazine.

 This is what Senator Santorum and the Animal Rights groups backing PAWS are
 counting on... that people will say: "I don't breed that many litters, so it
 won't affect me"; "Anyone who breeds that many litters should be regulated
to be
 sure they are doing it "right"";
 "The prospect of regulation will discourage hobby breeders from breeding so
much
 and that is good". On the surface, these thought may have merit. However,
the
 problem with PAWS is that the Animal Rights groups involved have come out
and
 said that it is only a "first step" in enacting their aganda goals. IF PAWS
does
 pass, you can bet they will work dilligently to lower the number limits.
They
 won't stop until they are successful at putting an end to all pet breeding
and
 ownership. There is another part of PAWS that states a person is a "dealer"
if
 they sell "hunting, security or breeding dogs". This could mean that anyone
who
 sells a breed of dog that hunts or a non-spayed/non-neutered pup/dog would
be
 considered to be a "dealer". It won't matter whether or not YOU actually
hunt
 your dog - just that the breed is considered to be a hunting breed.
 It is particularly alarming because right now, AKC is in the process of
changing
 their puppy registration forms. The box on the puppy registration form that
 breeder checks if they want the pup to be sold on a limited registration is
now
 darkened in with diagonal lines. Current forms are transitional, according
to a
 woman in AKC's customer service department who I spoke with. But the forms
will
 soon be all limited registration as a default - unless the breeder fills in
some
 special numbers on the form. All breeders will soon be getting a breeder ID
 number from AKC. Now consider this. A breeder sells a pup with full
rights...
 well, AKC has it in writing that you sold an intact pup thus, YOU ARE A
 DEALER!!!
 PAWS is not simply a law to deal with the "puppy mill" problem as AKc and
others
 promoting it are claiming. It is a poorly written piece of legislation that
has
 the potential to be very dangerous to our involvement with our dogs.
 Unfortunately, most of the Senators and Representatives are under the
impression
 that it is just about "puppy mills" and they are lending their support.
 We must stop PAWS.
 ~Loretta

 ** The above was in response to the email below....

 I don't doubt that there are a few people who breed more than six litters a
year
 who are relatively responsible breeders. It would be close to a full-time
job
 to breed more than six litters a year and to do it right, however, what with
all
 the puppy care, socialization, owner screening and keeping track of and
 following up on increasing numbers of dogs one is responsible for every
year.
 (And taking back all the puppies who don't work out in their original
homes).
 And, sadly, lots and lots of people who breed more than six litters a year
are
 NOT responsible breeders. Nobody is saying that it will be illegal to breed
 more than six litters a year under PAWS, just that people who do it should
 expect closer government scrutiny. I think that is a good thing. It will
 absolutely discourage some "hobby" breeders who breed to make money and who
are
 not remotely doing it right, while not affecting the majority of
responsible,
 caring breeders a bit. As to your comment that people should be allowed to
 breed more than six litters a year "provided that they do a good job of it,"
 agree. Regulation and inspection is a way to determine whether or not they
are
 doing a good job of it. In my experience, the VAST majority of people who
 breed more than six litters a year don't do a very good job of it.

www.FairhopeGSD.com