[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Bloat - Food for Thought

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:39:00 EDT

In a message dated 8/10/2005 3:51:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I was  watching a special about Lackland Air Force Base and the training of
prospective combat dogs, mostly German Shepherds.  After the dogs were
thoroughly screened for acceptability, they were sent for surgery.  The
veterinarians automatically tack down the stomachs of all German Shepherds
entering the
program, to prevent bloat.  WOW!  What does this  say???  I found it both
scary and depressing.  How bad is this  problem becoming?  Do WE need to
consider
doing the same with our  dogs?   How much is structural and how much is
genetic?
What  percentage of dogs in the 60's or 70's faced this life-threatening
disability?  Thought I'd give you some new food for thought.
Helen  Franklin

Dr. Allan Frank (a GSD person) recently did a program for our  regional club
re a "preventative laparoscopic surgery".  (I had puppy class  that night and
wasn't there.)  His flyer shows the lifetime risk of GDV is  about 23%.  That
seems a little high to me, but to be fair, he's including  other bree
ds...so...maybe?

I really cringe at the thought of "preventative" UNLESS you've bred into a
certain situation and you were going to spay/neuter a particular dog OR unless
the dog is a service dog.  Then, you might be able to twist my arm.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_