[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Bloat - Food for Thought

  • From: Gsdstyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:05:51 EDT

Patty,
You are correct. Tacking the stomach only prevents torsion, not bloat. We
know because we have a 10 year old bitch who bloated and torsed and had her
stomach tacked almost two years ago now. She continued to bloat every couple of
weeks, and we'd make the trip to the vet to have her tubed. The good part for
her
at least was that she was always to the vet for her tubing with her tail
wagging, glad to see her friends. lol, it's amazing what they get used to.
After
multiple trips and multiple x-rays, my vet finally decided to try a medication
that is normally used for cats with hairballs. The medication prevents the
stomach from going into a peristalsis paralysis, which was what seemed to be
happening based on the x-rays and the undigested food. In her case, since she's
been on the medication (which costs a fortune! but it's worth every penny) she
hasn't bloated in over one and one-half years.  We are thankful for that every
single day.

Pat
www.gsdstyle.com