[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Bloat - Food for Thought

  • From: ANN SCHULTZ <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: caggra@xxxxxxx, PAGAIRS@xxxxxxx, helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:13:29 -0700 (PDT)

I feel that bloat is very hereditary, I  know the lines of the dogs that bloat,
how many vets know the pedigree of their patients?  I have had just two bloat
in 25 years that I know of, mother and son.

      Ann
                                          www.edangsd.com
caggra@xxxxxxx wrote:We have been told by the Veterinarians at Ohio State
University that many bloat issues are breed specific many times due to their
structure...hence why it is prevalent in GSD's, Danes and other dogs or animals
that have narrow deep abdomens.
Now I am not at all saying that we do not have any genetic issues or that these
issues do not seem to be more prevalent in certain lines. I am just relaying
information that these veteranarians at a top research institute seem to
believe. Evidence can support both natural structure and genectics playing a
role, so that tells me that it is a combined issue.