[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: ADMIN: Apology to The List

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: ninemaplefarm@xxxxxx, terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 08:49:19 -0500 (EST)

Where are you located Sara?  I ask because you and I must be attending
very different shows and if you aren't local to me perhaps we can find you a
mentor.

When I go to shows my dogs attract throngs of people and have children
hanging on then like the pied piper. Then again, they attract admirers at a
school bus stop <G>. At all breed handling class, herding, OB classes  etc. I
don't hear disparaging comments and I've put a lot of hours in with  all
breed friends, believe you me <G>, (recently out w/ a youngster from a  Corgi
breeder "wow, nice shoulder!"), but then I let my dogs do the  "talking".

I am hardly alone; I spent a few hours recently at the Philly benched  show
and happened to be chatting w/ the breed winner's handler/co-owner as she
got her charge ready for the Group while allowing admirers to give him a few
of  his cookies.  There was an admiring crowd around the grooming set up.
That  to me is "normal", so again, not sure what you are seeing.

I won't address dogs "walking like that" except to note dogs with
dysfunctional rears/ligamentation today are hardly the norm. Maybe 20 years
ago or
so things got a bit extreme but now, not so much.  If/when you run  into a
person who is uneducated about out breed's function (herding) and  standard
including proper length/height ratio and angulation, perhaps you should
educate them.  We do not have a square breed.

Re temperament ~ the longer I am in dogs the more I fault  environment.
Puppies that aren't socialized have a hard go of it and if  you look, you will
find some who aren't solid in every breed.  It isn't  attractive.

I wouldn't consider myself a "specialty dog breeder".  I want and have
dogs that can go into either ring. I have/want a functionally sound dog. These
dogs can and DO win in either ring. (Personally I prefer the all breed
shows and  I enjoy the camaraderie of breeders from other breeds, so again, not
sure where  you are finding <quoting> "EVERY single exhibitor I talk to is
disgusted  by the GSD".  I find the opposite.

I  invite you to visit my web site.  Don't just look at the  pretty show
win pictures ~ look at the happy families with correct, functional  SOUND dogs
on the photo gallery pages.  And if you do hear an uneducated  opinion, be
ready to educate.  And if you aren't up to that, reach out to a  mentor.

In closing I WILL say as Breeder's Code chairperson, I do receive the calls
 where folks have had a bad experience w/ a GSD and they go through the
litany of  the "bads".  I am happy to report that when I ask where they
obtained their  dog it has been, without fail, from someone I've either never
heard
of (so not a  Code signer and VERY rarely even a PC club member). If puppy
buyers spend  more time hiring a lawn contractor than checking the bona
fides of someone they  want to purchase a puppy from AND it damages the
reputation of our breed,  there's not a darn thing I can do about it, so I've
learned to let it  go. AFTER I suggest a few educational sources AND chide them
for their  lack of "homework doin' " or looking for "a good deal" of course
<G>.

Back to work....

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 12/7/2011 7:52:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ninemaplefarm@xxxxxx writes:

I may  add...

Every show I go to, EVERY single exhibitor I talk to is  disgusted by the
GSD. EVERY single one of them regardless of what breed they  have. It's hard
for me to listen too but I have a hard time defending the  showring dog.
It's not normal for dogs to walk like that. I don't  remember the GSD I loved
as a kid walking like that. It's disgusting. Why do  their legs hit the
ground? They look so wobbly and weird.

I hear at our  obedience class or at a nosework demonstration or while out
for a  walk.

Why is it that EVERY dog person on the planet (except the  specialty GSD
breeder) is so sad that the breed has been ruined?  Why  can't fellow GSD
breeders see it?  In fact, at my last UKC show (I  started there to get us
ready
for AKC) the judge even commented to me on  having a "normal" GSD and it
was "nice to see". :-(

It really breaks my  heart.

Plus, I see GSDs at shows shaking, tail tucked, looking around
frantically. It's just not proper character.

Now, I don't mean to come  on here and have my first posts be so negative.
I am trying to learn. So,  please help me understand .....

Does anyone know when the hind end  thing started? I know it wasn't always
like this? Does it give a bigger gait  or something?  Does anyone wish they
could go back to breeding normal  dogs but maybe they think they won't win
in ring anymore?

Does anyone  else feel our show ring atmosphere is intimidating to a new
show ring  exhibitor?  Don't some of you wish people could show their own dogs
 without the antics?

I apologize again.

Sara Minsk