[shell-coding] Re: Vista System tray implementation

  • From: "Karl-Henrik Henriksson [qwilk]" <qwilk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: shell-coding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 00:18:35 +0100

Hello all,

it appears both Carsomyr and the LSDev guys have put a lot of time and effort into Windows Vista/64-bit/7 compatibility, and it would arguably be quite foolish if us other GPL'd shells would not take advantage of that hard work and simply reinventing/rediscovering the wheel one more time. After all, sharing knowledge is what open source is all about. But let's say one of us would use some of this information (not necessarily the code as such) in our respective shells - how would you like the credits? Would sufficiently thorough credits in the history/changes.txt be enough or do you want big fat copyright notices all over the place? ;)

Neil Santos: "Yeah, I'm still alive. Just buried in work and fatherhood. :D" Heh, yeah, that is something I can relate to for sure - having children and lots of work doesn't exactly do wonders for your commitment to open source projects! ;) In fact, my last official core release was xoblite bb3 RC1 way back in December 2005 (!), and even though I've worked quite a lot on the upcoming xoblite bb4 since then I must admit I'm having a really hard time finding the energy to do the more boring stuff these days - wrapping up official releases, updating documentation and the website, full fledged support etc... Or maybe I just enjoy the pure thrill of coding too much? ;)

BR//Karl -> qwilk a.k.a. xoblite

----------

Carsomyr,

You may already be aware that some vista-related development is
progressing with Litestep, but in case you aren't -- the changelog
from the latest alpha includes some systray stuff:

VISTA & 64-BIT SUPPORT (& Server 2008)
- Running on Windows Vista and 64-Bit Windows now officially supported
- Fixed startup folder items running twice on Windows Vista
- Fixed startup detection on Vista
- Added playing of logon sound
- Fixed logon screen delay
- Fixed wallpaper not appearing
- Fixed loading of SSOs on Vista
  - Enables the new Alt-Tab replacement
  - Fixes lots of system tray icons (network, volume control, ...)
- Fixed tray icon tooltips not showing up
- Fixed AppBar support
- Fixed LiteStep only launching 32-Bit versions of applications
  - Modules must use LSExecute(Ex) instead of ShellExecute
    to take advantage of this
- Fixed $quicklaunch$ not picking up folder path customization
- Fixed OS detection for !about and OS variables such as $WinVista$
- Fixed !shutdown crashing LiteStep on Vista

Source code can be found at http://www.lsdev.org

I'm not a programmer, but I'm sure ilmcuts can shed more light - I
think he's still on this list.

Ravi