[SeniorTech] Re: Stopping telemarketing calls

  • From: "Jerry Taylor" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <seniortech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 20:32:50 -0500

Ginny...

When we lived up the street from you in Hilton, many years ago we used to
get TONS of telemarketing calls at all hours of the day (and night). Then, I
finally signed up for BOTH the New York State AND the National DO-NOT-CALL
lists. The telemarketing calls stopped within a few DAYS! It was AMAZING!

It has protected us for many years. We hardly EVER get a telemarketing call
these days. (Except for those obnoxious "State Police Benevolent Fund"
scams. Since they're for "nonprofit fund-raising" they can still call. I
hang up immediately.) Also, I can't stop those annoying political ROBO-CALLS
every election season. After getting 10-15 from Loiuse Slaughter's office, I
called there personally and complained. I never got another robo-call from
her office.

I'm currently in a "war" with a company called "911 Alert Alarm." They call
me every week or so (sometimes TWICE a week), trying to seel me an alarm
system. Their pitch starts with "Press 1 to speak to a representative, Press
3 to be removed from our calling list." Sucker that I am, the first 3-4
calls I got I pressed "3." The calls got even MORE frequent! Now, I press
"1" and get the name and phone extension of the sales person. I tell them
that it's illegal to call me, and they simply give me some crap about how
their system just dials "random phone numbers." I explain to them that's
fine, but BEFORE your computer DIALS that "random number," it must FIRST be
cleared throught the Do Not Call Registry. At this point, they're pretty
sick of me and usually hang up on ME!

I've contact both the National AND NYS Do Not Call Registry and file a
formal complaint. We'll see what happens.

Being the tenacious pit bull that I am, I also found out that their company
is based in Castleberry, Florida. I contacted the Better Business Bureau
there and filed a formal complaint with THEM. THe company has until the 18th
of this month to file a formal rebuttal. Again, we'll see if ANY of this
stops them. I'll keep you posted.

Jerry Taylor
SeniorTech
http://www.seniortech.us <http://www.seniortech.us/>