[Section 31] The Past - (Part 2 of 5) - Remembering or Dreaming - Part 1

  • From: JCarnegie3rd@xxxxxxx
  • To: section31@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 01:08:17 EDT

The Past - Remembering or Dreaming - Part  1
By Jefferson and  Luann Carnegie
Time - 5  Months Ago
Jefferson sat up straight in bed,  his clothes once again soaked.  After
walking to the wash basin and splashing his face and changing into  a dry
change
of clothes; he exited his quarters and walked down the deserted  corridors of
the Einstein.  He had  once again woke up during the night, after having
another of the  nightmares.  The nightmares had been  going on for the past two
weeks, and even began to affect his work, due to the  lack of sleep.
In the most recent one he watched three Starfleet officers hanging from  the
gallows in the middle of the Presidio.  The nightmare seemed so real, but also
in the back of his mind was the  feeling that Starfleet would not execute
anyone this way.
Other nightmares included hearing a baby cry in a cemetery, but not being
able to find it, or the one where he watched a group of delegates around a
table
 be torn apart by a bomb.
But his normal dreams werenât even normal recently; in most of them he  kept
seeing a young girl, sometimes with Lieutenant Commander pips and other  times
in plain clothes.  She had  been around him a lot.  On more than  one
occasion he dreamed that they shared a passionate night on the  beach.
He could only recall glimpses from these dreams and nightmares.  But he didnâ
t know who the girl was, or  why he kept seeing her on the Einstein.  But he
did somehow know her name... it was Luann.
Jefferson had walked all the way  around the deck, and was back at to his
quarters.  He entered and walked to the wash basin,  he did this to kind of
wake
him up some more, and then he changed into his  uniform, ready for another
day.

Once again, Jefferson woke up during the night; it  wasnât a nightmare, but
still a dream that caused him discomfort.  In this dream he saw his father, the
 first time that had occurred in the many dreams that he had.
Jefferson walked to the computer  terminal, and made a call to his father.
âAmbassador Carnegieâs office, how may I assist you,â came a sweet voice
on
the system.
âFirst Lieutenant Carnegie calling for my fatherâ,  Jefferson replied.
âOf course, Lieutenant, Iâll put you right through.â
The next moment, Andrew Carnegie appeared on the screen.
âSon, what can I do for you?â
âWell, I just had an odd dream, and wellâ,  Jefferson explained the dream
and the part his father  played.
âWell, son, perhaps it was just a dream.  The mind is an interesting organ,
you  should know that.  And could just be  the stress of your time out
there.â
âI donât think so, Dad, it was real.  And the girl, I knew her name.  It
was
Luann.â
âThatâs probably because you know my secretary, her name is  Luann.â
âI didnât know that was her name, until just this moment.â
âAh, you must have heard me mention it some time before.â
Jefferson just shook his  head.  He knew that he had never  heard it before.
âIf you say so,  Iâll try to relieve some stress here, and maybe talk to
the
 counselor.â
âSounds like a plan son.  Iâll talk to you soon, I have a meeting with a
Gorn Ambassador, and we  both know how not to keep them waitingâ, Andrew
smiled.
âTalk to you later, Dadâ, Jefferson closed the  comm and sat back on his
bed.