[sanesecurity] Re: brassbandportal.co.uk honey-pot

  • From: Ken A <ka@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sanesecurity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:23:01 -0500

Nigel Horne wrote:
Folks,

I have a dormant domain (brassbandportal.co.uk). Somehow, I don't know how, it got on to spammers' mailing lists and it gets spam. Every single message sent to that domain is spam, it receives no legitimate emails, and it has no legitimate email addresses either so even more bizarrely is gets random email address (bound to fail, what a pointless exercise).

Since all messages are spam I have started filtering out all messages that aren't caught by Sanesecurity and its allies and then pass on what's left on to Steve to write signatures [aside: it's a pity that the signature process couldn't be automated].

I now produce daily stats of those known spams that are received, and publish them at http://www.bandsman.co.uk/clamstats.html. The honey-pot got over 50,000 yesterday (phew). I'm not sure how many are passed daily to Steve, but it must be around 100 - so you can see that's a great percentage hit for Sanesecurity and the allies, around 99.9% would be a good estimate. Well done!

It's also interesting to note that *all* of the matches are "UNOFFICIAL".

The 0900 blip occured when I got up and turned the PC on...

Nice of those spammers to wait for you to get out of bed!
Hey, keep _some_ secrets from them okay? ;-)
Ken

-Nigel

--
Ken Anderson