[sac-forum] Re: M106

  • From: David Hofland <hofland@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 15:35:54 -0500 (CDT)

Just to add to this, although it is a perfect example of preaching to a choir
as I can think of.  Its more than just the light pollution, as it that weren't
bad enough.  On top of the sad reality that more than half of the 7 billion
plus humans on the planet will live their lives having never even see the Milky
Way, it is just as bad a travesty because of the wasted energy of billions upon
billions of watts of lightbulbs doing nothing to make anyone safer,
illuminating nothing but the underside of aircraft along with the dust and
water vapor and gas molecules.  And the solution is totally simple and
achievable right now, it isn't like we need to wait until the invention of cold
fusion or the discover of the Higgs particle .  All it takes is for everyone to
just use correctly designed efficient outdoor light fixtures that are available
today and are relatively inexpensive.  So inexpensive that the energy saving
over the life of the appliance pretty much pays for it.  As R ichard says,
there are so few of us that object that its probably a lost cause anyway.

David Hofland
Centre, Alabama