[sac-forum] Re: --[AZ-Observing]-- Re: Good Seeing Predicted for Tonight

  • From: <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 8:45:22 -0800

Hi Tom,

Very informative response. Chris now has three models one is a 1280 x 960 with
a max rate of 15 FPS, all I think are non-IR filtered. I liked the USB set up
and the price point on his smaller camera but passed them by as I wasn't sure
what I'd be getting for the dollar but your results say that you'll be seeing
one on the back of my rig soon. I was looking at the Orion filter wheel last
night and they are now about $150. The filters in are all in the "Oh my gosh"
category but really nothing more than I paid for good HA or OIII filters. The
smaller chip should be fine for close up shot of Lunar details.
One thing I'm curious about is that you were using a powermate for your
planetary work, which you stated is what you use this camera for, should that
also be on the "must have" list of accessories for this set up? I.E. - the
powermate has to be on it for most applications.
Thinking about it that setup may be perfect on a PST solar scope as most if not
all CCD cameras / DSLRS won't work due to lack of inward(?) focus of the PST
setup BUT if you 2X barlow a webcam you can bring it into focus but the
resolution is not the greatest. (Barlowing the webcam is really neat in that
for mine I thread the lens portion of my barlow off the rest of the eyepiece
and directly thread it to the front of the webcam).

Jimmy Ray