[sac-board] Re: Adding On-line Web Payments to SAC's Web Site

  • From: "Thad Robosson" <starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 07:05:28 -0700

Hey SAC Bored,

AJ Sez.....
> > I don't know much about PayPal, but have heard some folks talk about it
and it
> > seems to be quite popular amongst those that purchase on the internet.
Since
> > I don't purchase on the internet the details are not known to me.
> > Having said the above, how many in the club would be able to take
advantage of
> > such an option if it were made available, is that enough to make it
worthwhile
> > and would the membership feel comfortable with this arrangement.

Then Paul Sez.....

> I'm looking at a PayPal business account, allows payments from credit
> cards.  The rates for this type of account varies from 0.7% + 30 cents to
> 2.9% + 30 cents on money received.
> OR, if internet payments greatly increases our membership, we could just
> accept the fees as a cut in the amount of dues we receive.
>
> I was asked recently by one person if it was possible to pay dues over the
> internet.

Having done some business online, I did sign up with PayPal.  I found that
it did help, but was not what
I'd consider indespensible.  The big drag with PayPal is that you have to
sign up to use it, so if a member wishes
to pay his/her dues online, they'll need to sign up for PayPal in order to
pay us through PayPal.  Having said that, the fact that we could now
"accept" credit card payments through PayPal is a plus.  This would also
open up other avenues, online sales of Steve's SAC database CD's comes to
mind, as does the sale of back issues of the SAC Newsletter, and S&T and
Astronomy subscriptions.  Just keep in mind that the PayPal account is like
adding another bank account to the club...someone (the Treasurer) is going
to have to maintain and monitor it.
Having said all this, and already being set up with PayPal, I'd be prone to
use it to pay membership dues and S&T subscriptions.....Sure beats waiting
until the next meeting to pay if I forget to bring my checkbook.

Thad