[sac-board] Re: Adding On-line Web Payments to SAC's Web Site

  • From: Paul Dickson <sac-treasurer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC-Board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 23:12:14 -0700

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 18:21:17 -0700, AJ Crayon wrote:

> I don't know much about PayPal, but have heard some folks talk about it and it
> seems to be quite popular amongst those that purchase on the internet.  Since
> I don't purchase on the internet the details are not known to me.
>
> Having said the above, how many in the club would be able to take advantage of
> such an option if it were made available, is that enough to make it worthwhile
> and would the membership feel comfortable with this arrangement.

I only received one other message about this, so maybe I should explain
further what I know and don't know...

I'm looking at a PayPal business account, allows payments from credit
cards.  The rates for this type of account varies from 0.7% + 30 cents to
2.9% + 30 cents on money received.  People who have personal PayPal
account can only received payments from accounts that are connected to
bank accounts (like a checking account).  For the business account, I'm
not sure whether the fees for receiving money are limited to credit card
payments only or all money, as the documentation on PayPal isn't really
clear on that.

So the $1.50 premium addition for paying dues via PayPal was based on the
SAC Family Membership ($42) and the 2.9% + 30 cents rate.  This additional
cost would offset the loss caused by the fees and not interfere
financially with the operation of the club.

OR, if internet payments greatly increases our membership, we could just
accept the fees as a cut in the amount of dues we receive.

I was asked recently by one person if it was possible to pay dues over the
internet.