[rsc] Re: Principles

  • From: Hope Clark <hopeclark@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:44:45 -0400

Thanks you Carolyn, Chetan and Stephen,
I really value this kind of online information, pondering, and commenting.

Especially as I delve into asking a few more questions I think it might be important to include Doc. T into this conversation, to have some direct sharing so that more may be understood. If the group agrees, then I suggest we make an introduction to the topic to doc. T and continue our conversation. tpetti@xxxxxxxxxxx

Chetan, I have a couple of questions that might help push this discussion to create the kind of outcome that would achieve our proposed goal - to have a positive impact..

First I wonder if you have read the interview that Ashley Sparks did with Doc. T, in the AR Summer journal on the new website. http://www.alternateroots.org/index.cfm? organization_id=114&section_id=1664&page_id=6910

If you haven't had a chance, I recommend it, so that we may better have a chance to talk directly about intentions, perceptions, and personal realities.

"...explicitly stating the value of building and preserving our community" "...as community-based artists, have a responsibility to present them ( our work) in a way that ultimately builds community."

I really value these intentions. I have learned that some times a way to figure out what would be the positive way to react, is spoken to by looking at the negative. For instance, if you do an exercise where one person talks about something that means a lot to them and the other person purposely doesn't listen, then you can start to have a conversation about what that person was doing and what the person could do to have a different affect.

You don't have to answer the question I am about to pose, but I wonder if it is possible to share, what it was exactly about the artwork that you witnessed and the way it was handled afterwards that was particularly painful?

I think this is important because TCP is performing again that the AM this year.

Sincerely,
Hope

Nature runs on sunlight. Nature uses only the energy it needs. Nature fits form to function. Nature recycles everything. Nature rewards cooperation. Nature banks on diversity. Nature demands local expertise. Nature curbs excesses from within.

On Jul 25, 2008, at 2:08 PM, c talwalkar wrote:

This is a good discussion. Here's a quick reply -- my one cent's worth, if you will.

I agree with Hope that the RSC principles could be refined to be more like the Hannover Principles. Right now the RSC principles seem like definitions more than design, process, or behavioral guidelines.

One substantive addition I would like to see in the RSC principles is something that recognizes more explicitly our interdependence as a community, and perhaps our desire to preserve that kind of connection. Perhaps the concept of "partnership" can be tweaked, or another item added to the list?

I think explicitly stating the value of building and preserving our community would offer us some guidance on how to deal with things like The Conciliation Project which, when presented as stand-alone pieces, can leave the fabric of the community more torn than before. I'm not suggesting that we make potentially hurtful presentations taboo, only that we, as community-based artists, have a responsibility to present them in a way that ultimately builds community. The way things happened last year was akin to having someone tear off a scab and walk off.

While I agree that it is not at all uncommon for artists to intentionally open wounds, I would argue that it is unethical for us, as community-based artists, to do so without steps to bring the community back together and leave it at least as whole as before. To do otherwise is to risk serving the cause of destruction more than transformation.

That's it for now. I regret I won't be at this year's AM to continue the discussion. I am saving time for an extended road trip with a visiting relative starting mid-August, and will need the weeks until then to finish up a couple of projects here. Needless to say, I'll miss our unique community in the North Carolina hills.

Peace,
Chetan