[rsc] Re: Principles

  • From: c talwalkar <ctalwalkar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:08:27 -0700 (PDT)

This is a good discussion.  Here's a quick reply -- my one cent's worth, if you
will.

I agree with Hope that the RSC principles could be refined to be more like the
Hannover Principles.  Right now the RSC principles seem like definitions more
than design, process, or behavioral guidelines.

One substantive addition I would like to see in the RSC principles is something
that recognizes more explicitly our interdependence as a community, and perhaps
our desire to preserve that kind of connection.  Perhaps the concept of
"partnership" can be tweaked, or another item added to the list?

I think explicitly stating the value of building and preserving our community
would offer us some guidance on how to deal with things like The Conciliation
Project which, when presented as stand-alone pieces, can leave the fabric of
the community more torn than before.  I'm not suggesting that we make
potentially hurtful presentations taboo, only that we, as community-based
artists, have a responsibility to present them in a way that ultimately builds
community.  The way things happened last year was akin to having someone tear
off a scab and walk off.

While I agree that it is not at all uncommon for artists to intentionally open
wounds, I would argue that it is unethical for us, as community-based artists,
to do so without steps to bring the community back together and leave it at
least as whole as before.  To do otherwise is to risk serving the cause of
destruction more than transformation.

That's it for now.  I regret I won't be at this year's AM to continue the
discussion.  I am saving time for an extended road trip with a visiting
relative starting mid-August, and will need the weeks until then to finish up a
couple of projects here.  Needless to say, I'll miss our unique community in
the North Carolina hills.

Peace,
Chetan