[rsc] Learning Exchange-draft 4 Counting Down to Durham!!

  • From: Ebony Golden <furiousflower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, mama nia <butterflyhush@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:54:10 -0400

*Greetings team,*
Our learning exchange, as of right now is close to seven hours with breaks.
Its too long.  We are not meeting on sunday to do the action planning, so we
have a lot to cover in one day.  Pretty much 5 hours.  I think we may be
able to ask people to stay a little later, but let's not count on it.  Let's
see how we can condense and shave off time.

Publicity
To date, publicity has gone out through my contacts, the spirithouse
listserv, alternate roots facebook page, and various other facebook pages.
We do not know who will be there, although several people have responded to
the facebook page.

I would like to have a space to talk as RSC about grassroots media and
publicity campaigns and how we can best support organizations with small
staffs doing big work.  Shon has shared his feelings about people being in
the space to hear and participate in the work.  Shon and I recognize
communication is an on-going struggle in the communities we work in.  Expect
to hear more about this in my follow up report.

*Materials*
TV/DVD- to watch film
speakers-to play music
water-to drink
paper
pens/pencils
markers
BIG PAPer
Video camera-Let's record and document.

*Learning Exchange Design*

Guiding Question:  *How do we support dialogue and action across
generations?*

What communities do we come from?  What community are we building
in this space?

Introduction: Shon and Ebony
Who We Are-5 min
What is Alternate Roots and RSC-5 min
Group Norms:  Ebony 5 min

 1. *Community Circle-Shon 15 min*
Think about a community you identify with from smallest to largest.  We will
go around in a circle and each will vocalize their affiliations.  If some
one else identifies, they will make a physical movement to symbolize
connection.

*Deepening the Work*
Why we are here: Shon and Ebony 10 min
What does it mean to grow across generation? Ebony 5 min
Why is it important to strengthen our community? Shon 5 min

Who in your community contributed to a moment of growth and awareness in
your life? Why?
Activity: 10 min
1. Watch the youth video where they engage the same
question.

What are some of the ideas that strike you about what you just saw? 5 min

2.  *Story Circle*:  Talk about a time you were supported in your growth and
awareness.  20 min
3.  Creative responses to themes that emerged during the story circle. 20
min
4.  Creative report back. 20 min

Now we will have a whole group discussion about what supports dialogue and
action across generations.
Activities:
1.  Large group discussion. 15 min
2.  Image Theater to activate the conversation 15 min

Break Time 15 min

*Now let's consider what challenges dialogue and acting across generations*.

Activities
1.  Shon and Ebony will do the Machine Game (first with struggle)  3 min
2.  In groups, participants will activate the Machine Game.  The goal is to
be a well oiled-machine.  10 min
3.  Report- what are your re-actions to the game, how did you move from
struggle to performing as a well oiled machine. 10 min
4.  Large group discussion.  How can the Machine Game help us think about
how to move from a space of struggle to smooth dialogue and action across
generations?  15 min

Case Study: *Dialogue and Action Across Generations Can Be Done!!*  25 min
Activities
1.  Pass out the case study
2.  Read it and break it down
3.  Pose some questions and dialogue about the case study
4.  How did this community succeed?
5.  What can we take from it and do here is Durham.

Large Group Discussion 15 min

Break Time 15 min

*Activating the Vision: Dialogue and Action Across Generations*
Large Group Discussion:  What We Want To See  15 min
Here we will go back to the what we just learned from the case study we read
and how it applies to Durham.  What can we use?  How can the people in this
room be accountable to being the keepers of the vision we will activate?

*Web of Resources: We Already Have What and Who We Need.  Moving the Vision!
*
Activity:  Each person will draw, write, create a representation of
resources they can offer the collective to move the vision forward.  15 min.
Facilitators will read back to the group the resource map. 5 min

*How Can We be Accountable to Each Other? 15 min*
Large Group discussion:  What do you need to be secure in doing this work?
How will we check in with each other?  How will we support each other?

*Bench Marks?  What will happen when?*  15 min
Let's plug items and actions into a huge calendar

 Evaluations 10 min

Conclusion
Activity: We need a reflection activity...

Check Outs

*Logistics
*Supplies
Lodging
Publicity-  Check in with Mama Nia and see how we can help.
Child Care- Mama Nia, do we need this?  Who can provide this?
Shon:  Make sure we have the movers and shaker and the people we need in the
room.
Travel arrangements
Food:  Will there be light snacks?

*Next steps*
Getting the budget break down to Carlton so that he can draw up contracts
for checks.
Print out documents- LE plan, case study, RSC materials, Annual Meeting
materials, etc.
Rehears learning Exchange with Shon